Indian culture and heritage is the most fascinating and interesting topic for UPSC Civil Services Prelims along with Mains.
When you get a rudimentary knowledge concerning the topics to study in Indian culture, this topic will be easy to deal with.
Here, you are provided guidance about areas of Indian culture at the same time free study materials which are beneficial for the preparation of Indian culture.
The best and unsurpassed method to deal with art and culture is to make it fascinating when learning it.
Art and Culture for UPSC
- It won’t be wise to get up everything, as it isn’t achievable anyhow nonetheless go for developing a gratitude for many art forms, endeavor to make connections with modern actions if you can.
- For instance, in preceding year Prelims, there was a question on medieval water-harvesting structure and drought was the headline. Correspondingly,
- if you are informed about current year trends for both Prelims and Mains, it is easy to perceive how Buddhism, Jainism, and ancient philosophies get support with UPSC just about repetitively.
UPSC Syllabus about Indian Culture
Indian Culture is grounded on the Civil Services Exam- Prelims and Mains. According to the current UPSC Syllabus and IAS Mains, Indian Culture will include the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture on historical to contemporary times.
Indian Art – Performing Arts, Visual Arts, and Literary Arts
Art are including three parts
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Literary Arts
Dances of India – Classical, Regional Classical Dances
Also, learn the Regional Dances of India.
- Music of India – Hindustani, Carnatic, and Regional Music
- Hindustani Classical Music
- Carnatic Classical Music
- Regional Music
(i) The Tata Vadya or Chordophones – Stringed instruments
(ii) The Sushira Vadya or Aerophones – Wind instruments
(iii) The Avanaddha Vadya or Membranophones – Percussion instruments
(iv) The Ghana Vadya or Idiophones – Solid instruments which do not require tuning.
Theatre Forms of India
- Indus Civilizations
- Buddhist Architecture
- Temple Architecture
- Indo-Islamic Architecture
- Modern Architecture
- Indus Civilization
- Buddhist Sculpture
- Gupta Sculpture
- Medieval School of Sculpture
- Modern Indian Sculpture
- Wall Paintings of India
- Miniature Painting
- Modern Indian Painting
- Ancient Indian Literature
- The Purana
- Classical Sanskrit Literature
- Literature in Pali and Prakrit
- Early Dravidian Literature
- Medieval Literature
- Women Poets of Bhakti
- Other Trends in Medieval Literature
- Modern Indian Literature
- The Emergence of Nationalism
- The Literature of Nationalism, Reformism, and Revivalism
- Indian Romanticism
- The Advent of Mahatma Gandhi
- Progressive Literature
- Making of Modern Theatre
- Search for Modernity
- The Indian Literary Scene After Independence
- Dalit Literature
- Use of Mythology
- Contemporary Literature
Indian Culture – Priority Areas
Since Visual Arts contain architecture and Literary Arts include literature, it can be supposed that Indian Culture from UPSC view is a study of arts. There are other important areas such as Religion and Indian Philosophies, but they must be featured distinctly.