As we know that Prelims exam is the first stage in civil services or IAS examination which is held by request of UPSC.
Those who are in quest of best reference books are an all-inclusive mentioning the topics in prelims general studies, then they can put an end to their search.
Here comes the list of standard and best reference books selected by toppers and experts.
These books can be purchased online and from the market where they sell like hotcakes with the IAS Exam approaching closer.
These books are existing in pdf for you to download.
Accompanying this list of books for UPSC civil services prelims General Studies exam, it becomes easier to attain the scores you might have longed for.
Civil Services – Prelims
- General studies cover an enormous subject, so it brings a benefit to the aspirants knowing the best reference books for the IAS exam.
- The list given below provides the books of General Studies books having everything to do with the preparation of Civil Services and other services exams conducted by the UPSC.
- General Studies require each student to keep informed every year and make it plausible to only but an exclusive material.
- UPSC Prelims General Studies exam paper encompasses multiple-choice (objective) questions. A
- Postulants who become able to pass the exam can have a sitting in the mains exam.
- To acquire surpassing preparation for UPSC, civil services prelims exam requires a sharp memory and elementary withholding power and good approach.
- Selecting the suitable books for prelims exam is of value. The theoretical clearness on each topic of the syllabus is what calls for.
- It is equally important to use the time properly and clear the UPSC civil services prelims exam in the initial endeavor
Reference Books for Preliminary Exam- General Studies
- Geography – Spectrum
- Indian History – India Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra; NCERT Books ( XI & XII )
- Indian Polity – Constitution of India by Bakshi
- Indian Economy – Plus One, Plus Two Books, Pratiyogita Darpan
- General Science – Tata Mc Graw Hill Guide
- Mental Ability – Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Aggarwal
- Current Affairs – Some magazines and Newspapers
- The Hindu/The Times of India
- Civil Service Chronicle
- Competition WIZARD
- Civil Services Today
- Civil Services India
- Tata Mc Graw Hill
Topic Wise Reference on General Studies
Books on Indian History & Culture:
- NCERT (+ 2 level) – Ancient India, Medieval India, Modern India.
- Publication Division : Gazetteer of India (Vol 2 : History & Culture)
- Gandhi Nehru Tagore & Ambedkar – Gopal Krishna
- Bipin Chandra – Modern India
- C.Banerjee – History of Modern India Raghavan Aiyer – Mahatma Gandhi
Books for Prelims
- A Brief History of Modern India
- Trends in Indian Culture and Heritage
- Economic Survey 2014-15
- Indian Economy
- Science & Technology
Books on Geography:
- NCERT: Physical Geography of India for X – XII Std
- A Good School Atlas
- Sharma & Coutinho: Economic and Commercial Geography of India.
- Khullar: India- A Comprehensive Geography
- Environmental Studies from Crisis to Cure 2nd Edition – R.Rajagopalan
- Charles Farro: General Principles of World Geography
- Charles Farro: Monsoon Asia Reports published by Centre for Science and Environment And Tata Energy Research Institute
- National journal – Kurukshetra, Yojana etc. Down to earth
Books on Indian Economy:
- NCERT (+1 level) – Evolution of Indian Economy(I C Dhingra). Also topics from books from 6th – 12th classes
- Indian Economy – Mishra and Puri or Dutt and Sundaram
- Indian Economy Since Independence + Indian Economy: Performance and Policies- Uma Kapila.
- Economic Survey
- The Economic Times, Business Standard, India Year Book
- Budget: Railway, Annual Financial Statement (AFS)
- The Hindu (Economy sections)
- Also, refer to “Indian Economy” – Ramesh Singh
- Indian Economy – Sanjiv Verma, if you have less time
- March of the Indian Economy – I.C. Dhingra
Books on Social and National Issues:
- Social Problem – Ram Ahuja
- Social Welfare Magazine – Published by the ministry of social welfare
- IIPa Journal
Books on Indian Polity:
- NCERT (+1 level)-Indian Political System
- L. Madan: Bhartiya Rajya Vyavastha
- D. Basu-Indian Constitution
- Kashyap-Constitution of India
- Publication Division-Subhash C. Kashyap: Our Parliament
- M. Bakshi-Indian Constitution
- Our Constitution: Subhash C. Kashyap
- Perspective on Constitution: S.C. Kashyap
- Frontline Magazine
- IIPa Journal
NCERT : (10 level): Science Books on Science & Technology:
- (+2 level) : Biology
- Popular Science Series (CSIR)
- Reports Of the Ministry of Science and Technology Yojana
- Science Reporter
- Science and Technology in India – Spectrum
Books on Statistics:
- (NCERT +1 level) Elementary Statistics
- C.Gupta: Statistical Methods
Books on India and the World:
- Journal of Peace Studies
- World Focus
- Strategic Analysis
- South Asian Journal
Other Books for General Studies:
- India Year Book latest
- One competitive Magazine
- Guides like Tata Mc Graw Hill, Spectrum or Unique for General Reference
- The Pearson General Studies Manual
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S.Aggarwal