The Essay Paper is including in the ninth papers in the UPSC civil services mains exam.
In this paper, you will have to write two essays each featuring 1000 to 1200 words.
An individual theme will be selected from a choice of four topics.
The Essay Paper is consisting of 250 marks with one essay for 125 marks.
Aspirants must read this article to know everything about the correct way to write an essay.
This article provides you the insight in to by what means to write an essay for UPSC exam.
It is recommended that you follow certain steps while writing the essay paper.
How to write an essay for UPSC?
Go through the topics carefully
This is the most imperative stage in the procedure. You should choose one out of four topics. At the time of choosing your topic, ensure that you know the topic
What not to select:
- A subtle or contentious theme like, feminism.
- A topic regarding which you are fervent or interested about. In this case, you may tend to get excited and fail to write a stable essay. This can oppose.
Think for some time
When you are certain about the topic, you must not jump to writing immediately. It is judicious to contemplate for a while and gather your opinions. Each theme must be written with the pencil. This is imperative as merely then you can put forward your points in the precise order. For example, if you are touching upon India’s relations with her neighbors, you need to cover historical facts and events in the start. Presume you commence writing the essay and realize only in the direction of the end that you have overlooked to refer a critical feature in the historical share.
As soon as you have the estimated points in hand, you may begin writing down the essay. While writoing, you need to be focused on a decent configure. The structure of a good essay is as follows:
- Main issue/problem/subject
- Current scenario/current news related to the topic
- Positive and negative aspects
- Reforms/way forward
You will get credits if it is including these-
- Applicable quotes/proverbs by well-known personalities (guarantee to quote precise – incorrect quotes make you look uncaring or sluggish).
- Germane government arrangements and rules.
- Any realities or suggestions (must be correct then don’t hold them).
Important pointers to note while you write:
- Don’t simply exist problems. Assign conceivable improvements also.
- Don’t criticise the administration/direction disproportionately.
- Even if the theme is challenging, your essay must be precise. Offer a stable image. You don’t need to comply with the theme.
- Overlook writing perfect answers.
- Bear in mind that you are a prospective officer, not a journalist