A defense staff will not have a privilege to appear in the UPSC civil services at the same time as being in service.
Yet, a short service commissioned (SSC) officer in the army will have the advantage to appear in the exam as long as that if they have not more than two years of service assigned and effectively comply with all the other eligibility conditions of the UPSC CSE.
Correspondingly, ex-servicemen can as well appear in the exam in case they meet all the needs intended for eligibility conditions. The government too offers definite considerations to ex-servicemen in the age standard.
Aimed at Ex-servicemen involving Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have delivered no less than 5 years military service and have been unrestricted:
There is a reduction of equal to five years from the maximum reached age in the eligibility standard for the indicated applicants. Consequently, the maximum age bound is 37 years meant for general category.
For defense service personnel disabled during service:
There is a reduction of equal to three years from the maximum reached age in the eligibility standard for the indicated applicants. Thus, the maximum age bound is 35 years.
Things to be taken notice of
- The word ex-servicemen is demarcated in the Ex-servicemen (Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts) Rules, 1979.
- Ex-servicemen who have been discharged or settled because of wrongdoing or incompetence are not considered suitable to make avails of the reductions presented for ex-servicemen.
- Ex-servicemen who are on the rampage by reason of physical disability attributable to military service, or who are have become free by reason of disabled are included in the criteria for the age limit reduction. Disabled servicemen have no restriction on the number of permitted endeavors. They may appear in the exam on condition that they are not exceeding the upper age limit.
- Commissioned Officers (ECOs/SSCOs) who have been unrestricted on their own permit are not appropriate to avail the privilege.
- Ex-servicemen candidates who also fall under the SC/ST/OBC category are eligible for grant of cumulative age-relaxation under both the categories (community and ex-servicemen).