The Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES) is considered as the services aspirants may gain entry after clearing the UPSC civil services examination.
IDES stand as Group A service and its officers take up Defence Estates Organization (DEO) whose chief order is to accomplish and direct the civil affairs of quarters and defense land in the nation.
Aspirants are suggested to look at the details mentioned below to attain further information regarding IDES.
The IDES was in progress on 16th December 1926 when it was acknowledged as the Military Lands and Cantonments Service. In 1983, it was retitled as Defence Lands and Cantonments Service. The service attained its existing terminology in 1985.
The IDES is a 3-staged organization.
Top level: Directorate General, located in the quarter of Delhi. This is the head office. The Directorate General is ruled by the Director General Defence Estates (head of the IDES). Now there remains one Senior Additional Director General and four Additional Director Generals, in the responsibility of exact distributions.
Middle level: Six Directorates being Regional Headquarters, co-located along with six Army commands. They are situated at Pune, Lucknow, Jammu, Chandigarh, Kolkata, and Jaipur. Each Directorate is led by a Principal Director who is helped by Directors and other staff.
The third level (Field level): 62 quarters with each led by a Chief Executive Officer. There are as well Defence Estates Officers in 37 Defence Estates Circles and four Assistant Defence Estates Offices.
- Managing the defense lands.
- Administering the Cantonment Boards.
- Emerging Cantonments and guaranteeing wellbeing maintenance for all inhabitants, good schools for all children, social care system for the old, differently-abled and the deprived units of culture.
- Leading even study of defense lands.
- Obtaining, acquisition and demanding steady belongings for defense drives.
- Conducting unvarying reviews of defense land.
- Upholding and apprising precise and digitized accounts of land.
- Averting and eradicating intrusions and illegal edifices on defense land.
- Positioning defense land.
- Handling litigation regarding ownership of defense land.
- Directing the Defence Ministry on subjects about Cantonments and defense land.
- Overseeing the application of the Cantonments Act 2006.
The officers go through training at the National Institute Defence Estates Management (NIDEM) at Delhi.
Hierarchy & Pay Scales
|Grade||Designation in Directorate||Designation in Directorate General||Pay Scale|
|Assistant Director||Assistant Director General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 5400|
|Deputy Director||Assistant Director General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 6600|
|Joint Director||Deputy Director General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 7600|
|Joint Director||Deputy Director General||37,400 – 67,000 + Grade Pay 8700|
|Director||Additional Director General||37,400 – 67,000 + Grade Pay 10,000|
|Principal Director||Senior Additional Director General||67,000 – 79,000|