The Indian Postal Service (IPoS) is a Group ‘A’ central civil service that took its shape in 1948. The main purpose of the provision is to efficiently accomplish the postal services in India.
There are 22 Postal Circles in the nation among which is controlled by a Chief Postmaster General. The spheres are once more grouped into Areas and each area is ordered by a Postmaster General.
India is featuring in 1.55 lakh post offices.
The IPoS officers are employed owing to the UPSC CSE directed each year.
The IPoS officers training occurring in two stages.
Stage 1: Foundation Course at any one of the training academies acknowledged by means of the Department of Personnel & Training (LBSNAA/ Mussoorie, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Hyderabad, National Academy of Direct Taxes, Nagpur, etc.).
Stage 2: Professional training in postal management is communicated at Rafi Ahmed Kidwai National Postal Academy (RAKNPA) situated at Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Handling and taking 24-hour care postal services and processes.
- Utilizing and increasing the postal system.
- Directing post offices and mail offices.
- Taking part in the maintenance and care of post offices, letter boxes, mail vans, etc.
- Buyer associations and communal protest redressal methods.
- Advertising the amenities and harvests of India Post.
- The IPoS officers can be referred to work on commission to other central/state administration departments or sections, in the Deputy Secretary rank or above.
- They can as well be directed to work in PSUs existing as Chief Vigilance Officer.
- They can too be directed abroad on projects/delegations along with United National Development Programme, Universal Postal Union, Asia Pacific Postal Union, etc.
- They can too be directed for the functioning of commission in the officers’ squad of the Army Postal Service.
Hierarchy and Pay Scale
|Junior Time Scale (Senior Superintendent of Post Offices/ Senior Superintendent Railway Mail Service)||Rs.15,600-39100 + Grade Pay Rs.5400|
|Senior Time Scale||Rs.15,600-39,100 + Grade Pay Rs.6600|
|Junior Administrative Grade||Rs.15,600-39,100 + Grade Pay Rs.7600|
|Junior Administrative Grade
|Rs.37,400-67,000 + Grade Pay Rs.8700|
|Senior Administrative Grade||Rs.37,400-67,000 + Grade Pay Rs.10,000|
|Higher Administrative Grade (Post Master General)||Rs.67,000-79,000|
|Higher Administrative Grade + (Member, Postal Services Board||Rs.75,500-80,000|
|Secretary To Govt. Of India/Chairman (PSB)/ Director General (Posts)||Rs.80,000|
Designations held by IPoS officers during field posting:
- Senior Superintendent of Post Offices
- Senior Superintendent Railway Mail Service
- Chief Postmaster
- Assistant Postmaster General