UPSC Civil Service Exam is called as IAS exam on universal level bringing about three exam processes only under the administration of UPSC.
The exam results in preliminary exam held in June, mains which appears after the first session in the month of November and then approached finally interview in March.
It is not simple to figure out this exam, by reason of its unbending competition and wide-ranging syllabus, but with actual and hard work and precise method, the proper direction will allow an aspirant to achieve high merit in IAS Exam and get a service they might anticipate.
UPSC Exam 2019 Scheme
|Paper A||Regional language(Qualifying)||300|
|Paper B||English Language(Qualifying)||300|
|Paper – 1||Essay||250|
|Paper – 2||General Studies-1||250|
|Paper – 3||General Studies -2||250|
|Paper – 4||General Studies -3||250|
|Paper – 5||General studies -4||250|
|Paper – 6||Optional Paper – 1||250|
|Paper – 7||Optional Paper- 2||250|
|Written test Total||1750|
IAS Exam Eligibility criteria:
An Indian with any degree from:
Any of the universities set up by an act of central or state legislature in India.
- Other educational institutions established by the act of parliament.
- Or an estimated university through the decision of university which contributes commission act, 1965.
- Achieve a comparable qualification.
- Final year students and those who are looking for results will also be getting through this exam. Results are mandatory while filing the application form in Mains.
- No percentage restriction for any of the services.
For other services:
- A citizen of India,
- A subject of Nepal,
- A subject of Bhutan,
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India, before January 1, 1962, with an intention to settle permanently in India.
IAS Exam – Age limit
The minimum age limit is consisting of 21 years. Age limit is applicable to 1st of August each year when the exam occurs.
Upper age limit and number of attempts
|category||Upper age limit||Number of attempts|
|Citizens of Jammu and Kashmir||37|
|Defense personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with foreign countries or disturbed area||35|
UPSC Syllabus for Prelims General Studies paper -1
- Current Affairs: It provides the concepts on current events, both national and international importance.
- History: It comprises Indian national movement and history of India.
- Geography (Indian and World): It includes physical, social, economic geography.
- Environment: It offers the topics on environmental ecology, biodiversity and general issues on climatic change and general science.
- Indian Polity and Governance: Constitution of India, political system, Panchayati raj etc.
- Economics: It focuses on social sector initiatives, sustainable development, inclusion, demographics poverty etc.
UPSC Syllabus for prelims paper-2 ( CSAT )V
- Problem- solving and decision- making.
- General mental ability.
- Analytical and logical reasoning.
- Data Interpretation.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
UPSC Syllabus For Mains Exam
The students getting scores in the mains examination and interview session will be considered for ranking. The mains are made of 1750 marks and interview which further gives 275 marks. In UPSC mains, there will be 9 papers out of which 7 to be estimated for the final ranking.
Paper –A (Indian Language)
Applicants will be required to choose Indian languages contained within the eighth schedule of Indian constitution. Apart from that this paper is not mandatory to be attended to those who are from Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Manipur, and Nagaland.
Paper-B: English language -syllabus
UPSC papers counted for final ranking
|Paper||Subject & Content||Marks|
|Paper 2||GS 1 syllabus: Culture and Indian Heritage, History, and Geography of world||250|
|Paper 3||GS 2 Syllabus: Constitution, Governance, polity, social justice and international relations||250|
|Paper 4||GS 3 Syllabus: Economic development, Technology, Environment and biodiversity, Disaster management and security.||250|
|Paper 5||GS 4 syllabus: Aptitude, integrity, and Ethics||250|
|Paper 6||Optional Paper 1||250
|Paper 7||Optional Paper 2||250|